Sunday, September 18, 2016

Dancing With AFib- 3

"It has a mind of its own."
That's what Dr. Wonderful says of the Afib. 

That's for sure.

So a couple of weeks ago, after giving a client a strenuous lomilomi session in a hot room, I treated myself with a visit to  Salon Vanity for cut and color by my magical stylist. I was peacefully relaxing, while Lori Ann, with the magic hands,  was touching up my roots, when all of a sudden, there it was- AFib, arriving unceremoniously while my hair was dripping with dye.

Not a good look, I thought.

I vowed to myself, that if I had to go the ER this time, it would be after the color process was at least finished! So, I didn't tell anyone.

Just quietly took the little pill that slows down the beat, and let my hair become beautiful. 

When I realized no ER trip would be necessary,even though my heart was still out of step,  I decided to make my way to my next scheduled stop- phone banking for Hillary. I mean, I'm dedicated.

It was a few blocks to the location, and walking felt weird. Not like I was going to faint or pass out. Just weird. When I stopped,I felt better, so I took my time, stopping when I could.

I knew that if I got to the location, I'd be fine. And I was. Once I sat down and
started making calls, the weirdness of my heart beating out of time seemed to melt into the distance.

Distraction is a good thing, I'm learning.
But, it took four hours, this Afib with its own mind.

And when it stops, also, with no warning, it is like the chest takes a deep breath, and ahhhhh. Back to normal.

Who doesn't love normal?

No comments:

Post a Comment