Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Dancing with Afib

It's been a while... a long while. And there's been lots of wandering!

2 years ago, almost to the day, I had my first "episode" of AFib, atrial fibrillation, "an abnormal heart rhythm characterized by rapid and irregular beating," which put me in the hospital overnight.

How ironic! I mean, I'm all about rhythm- I dance!! I do tap, hip hop, tango, salsa...and more!!  I even travel to libraries with a program called "Global Rhythms!"

So how very strange to be feeling so out of rhythm.
Strange and scary.
This can't be happening to me, I thought
But, it did.

So, I now have a cardiologist. I'll call him Dr. Wonderful, because he is, because, when I saw him after my hospital stay, he said these words "You can keep dancing." In face he WANTED me to keep dancing. And so, he is Dr. Wonderful. And I am still dancing!

The episodes have not completely stopped and in future posts, I'd like to talk more about the specifics of how they affect me and how, with my own research, and the help of Dr. Wonderful, I am better able to manage them.

I would love for any other "Afibbers" out there, to share their stories. And I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Best,
Roberta


No comments:

Post a Comment