Monday, September 12, 2016

Dancing with AFib- part 2

Even though Dr. Wonderful told me I could keep dancing, it took us a bit to work that out.

My first "episode" happened right after a dance class. Well, it was also a sweltering, humid  summer day and the air was thick when I walked out of the studio. I had probably not hydrated enough before class, and consumed a giant highly caffeinated iced coffee right before class.

The good news about spending that night in the hospital, was that they did a lot of tests, and at age 63, I'm pretty darn healthy.

The bad part was that my pulse had gone over 200 and the EMT's had to inject me with medication to lower it, in my apt. Hated the nasty stains on my new blanket, and they left a mess, but I love them- I really do.

I'm here today writing because of those guys. Thank you . Thank you, dear EMTs!!

So the next couple of "episodes" happened during dance class. I was taking a 90 minute tap class first, but the heart started to speed up and go out of rhythm in the second class- hip hop. Twice, I didn't make it through the warm-up.

So, twice I took the meds that Dr. Wonderful prescribed, should I have another episode.  It took some time for my heart beat to slow down but even longer for the irregular rhythm to stop.

Dr. Wonderful, available by phone during both episodes, assured me that "eventually" the heart would go back to normal, and that I had the option to go to the hospital, where they could monitor the irregularity and get more meds.

I preferred to wait. Patience has always been a challenge.

We decided that half a pill before dance class might work.
And it does!!
Hallelujah!

but the episodes are not gone completely....

No comments:

Post a Comment