Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Wandering-Philly "The Lie I Sometimes Tell"


There is a lie that I sometimes tell.
 I told it last night.

I had wandered over the Walnut Street Bridge, to the World Cafe, for my favorite Monday night jazz jam and happy hour.

I never get tired of the view from the bridge, one of the most beautiful places in the city if you like lights, and I do. 


 I was a little disappointed when I found out that the jazz was cancelled. But  the monthly Story Slam would begin a little later, so I settled in with some red wine and caught up with my fav bartender, Robin.

The theme for this month’s story competition was “Liar Liar.”  I told my lie, not as a story, but just in conversation at the bar, while contestants were entertaining us with their escapades.

While waiting for the start of the event, I chatted with one of the organizers. He invited me to be one of the three judges for the night, to which I agreed.

And I could judge right from my seat at the bar, just shouting out my scores, when requested. Perfect.

So that’s where I told the lie, to a complete stranger.

“How many children do you have?”

It is seems a simple question.

I said “One”

The truth is I have two children. One here in Philly and one on the Other Side., which is what I tell you once I get to know you better or if I think there’s a chance that I will see you again. I lost Lisa in a car accident 13 years ago when she was almost 19.

And because that is way too much information for a stranger trying to be entertained at a lively event, I lied.

I lied to the person next to me, while I was judging stories about lies. The irony was clear. I tell this lie to keep things simple. After all these years, it is still not easy. 

But Story Slam was great with lots of laughter and a truly outstanding winner! I had fun judging, and for the most part, we three judges were close in our evaluations. I got booed once for giving a low score on the final contestant. 

I took it like a woman!

I handed in my score card and had a peaceful walk home back over the bridge.








No comments:

Post a Comment